Grandparents can be a huge source of support for new moms and dads. Here are the top 10 ways they can help.
1. Play gatekeeper at the hospital. Help parents get some rest.
2. Help with chores at their home the first few days. Take care of pets, stock up some easy-to-fix meals, run errands. Grandpa, help Dad with some "honey dos."
3. Wait to be asked for your advice, or offer it when you see parents are obviously overwhelmed. Offer in the spirit of, "Well this is what worked when you were little. Maybe you could give it a try ..."
4. Accept that parents may choose to do things differently; they may have different circumstances than you did.
5. Once new parents are settled in at home, offer reprieves.
6. Give gift certificates to their favorite restaurant or tickets to the movies.
7. Collect coupons for deals on baby products. Offer to grab something on sale when you're out shopping.
8. Make a recording of you reading a favorite bedtime story for the baby.
9. Create a Family Heritage Book. You know all the family stories and secrets; it's a treasure of knowledge only you can give.
10. Shower your grandchild with love – make them feel special!
St. Luke's Hospital offers a Grandparents Class specifically for expectant grandparents. It covers helpful information such as current hospital care for mother and baby, infant safety information and more. Classes are offered bimonthly. Check out upcoming class dates and sign up.
St. Luke's Hospital is a regional healthcare provider committed to improving the quality of life for patients and the community. It offers care in more than 60 specialty areas and was the only St. Louis hospital named an America's 50 Best Hospital™ by Healthgrades® in 2007 through 2014 based on quality.