- Never force your dog to go into the water if he doesn't want to go. Introduce your dog to the water slowly. The first step is just asking your dog to get into the water using the steps.
- Let your dog swim in the water for a short time to help him feel comfortable in the pool. Call him back to you, so he knows how to enter and exit the stairs. This is a very important safety tip.
- Don't be afraid to get in the water with your dog. It might make him feel more comfortable.
- Move to the side of the pool after your dog is comfortable with the steps. Ask your dog to jump into the pool from the side and then have him exit by using the stairs.
- Encourage a game of retrieve by throwing his favorite toy in the water like a tennis ball, stick, bumper or flying disc to make the experience fun and rewarding.
- Seek out a training group or individual trainer when your dog is ready to move from swimming and jumping to dog diving.
The Pro Plan Performance Team, consisting of more than 15 remarkably talented canines, entertains audiences at Purina Farms with extraordinary feats of athleticism and skill. The team, which is made up primarily of rescued dogs, is living proof that with premium, high-quality nutrition, proper expert training and lots of unconditional love any pet has the ability to achieve greatness.
See what's happening at the Farms! Visit Purina Farms' Sproutlight Page.
In the Sproutlight is a sponsored opportunity. For more information on sponsorship, e-mail [email protected] or call 636-828-4246.
From the calendar