In the weeks preceding the grand jury announcement, the Riverview Gardens School District worked to develop partnerships, including with the St. Louis County Library, to ensure that students receive educational support in the event that schools would be closed.
St. Louis County Library will have activity rooms open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday with crafts, games, movies, reading materials and more. A series of special performances have been scheduled with some of St. Louis' favorite entertainers each day at the three participating branches - Florissant Valley, Lewis & Clark and Natural Bridge.
Scheduled performances are: Juggling Jeff on Tuesday, Nov. 25 at 10 a.m. and Abra-Kid-Abra 2 p.m. on Wed., Nov. 26 at the Lewis & Clark branch; Abra-Kid-Abra at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 25 and Juggling Jeff on Wed., Nov. 26 at 2 p.m. at the Natural Bridge Branch; and Abra-Kid-Abra Tuesday, Nov. 25 at 10 a.m. and Juggling Jeff Wednesday, Nov. 26 at 2 p.m. at the Florissant Valley branch. A full schedule of St. Louis County Library events can be found at www.slcl.org/events. Please call 314-994-3300 for more information.
Churches throughout North County, which were selected by the districts based on location to provide maximum coverage of each school district's attendance area and facility resources, have pledged to serve as sites for meals, educational activities and counseling services between the hours of 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. for children and families on days school would normally be in session.
The school districts will provide breakfast and lunch to the church sites through their food service departments. Educational activities will be available to children each day schools are closed, and counselors with Provident Counseling and other community agencies will provide mental health resources at each church site for children and adults as needed.
Participating churches include:
• Believer's Temple Word Fellowship, 2115 Chambers Rd., St. Louis MO 63136, (314) 388-0801
• Cross Keys Baptist Church,14255 New Halls Ferry Rd, Florissant, MO 63033,
• First Baptist Church of Ferguson, 333 N Florissant Rd, Ferguson, MO 63135,
• Florissant General Baptist Church, 360 Graham Rd, Florissant, MO 63031,
• Grace New Covenant Church, 711 Chambers Rd, St Louis, MO 63137,
• Greater Grace Church, 3690 Pershall Rd, St Louis, MO 63135,
• Hope Church, 4200 Brown Rd., St Louis, MO 63134, (314) 429-6182
• St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 33 N. Clay Ave., Ferguson, MO 63135,
• Third Presbyterian Church, 9990 Lewis and Clark Blvd., St Louis, MO 63136,
• Wellspring Church, 33 S Florissant Rd., Ferguson, MO 63135, (314) 521-4217
Saint Louis Public Schools will also provide bagged lunches for children at seven locations on Tuesday, Nov. 25 between noon and 1 p.m. The school sites serving lunches for children today are:
- Ashland Elementary – 3921 N. Newstead, 63115
- Bryan Hill Elementary – 2128 E. Gano, 63107
- Froebel Elementary – 3709 Nebraska Ave, 63118
- Nance Elementary – 8959 Riverview Blvd, 63147
- Patrick Henry Downtown Academy – 1220 N. 10th Street, 63112
- Peabody Elementary – 1224 S. 14th Street, 63104
- Washington Montessori – 1130 N. Euclid, 63113
In addition, St. Louis Public Schools will offer crisis counseling for all children and staff at Central Office, 801 N. 11th Street, 63101 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 25.
From the calendar