Open to the public year-round, World Bird Sanctuary offers:
- More than 50 outdoor exhibits featuring live hawks, eagles, owls, falcons, vultures, pelicans, cranes, crows, ravens and a condor! Do be sure to stop and say “Hi!” and play hide and seek with Dorothy, our Andean condor who has a 10 foot wingspan. You’d be surprised how she can hide in her enclosure!
- Help us feed the chickens and turkeys on display, they are always ready for a snack from you!
- A Visitor’s Information Center with interpretive exhibits and birds on display. You will also find our Gift Shop – The Raptique – in this building!
- A state-of –the-art Wildlife Hospital with a patient viewing window. Visitors can come see some of the 400+ patients that World Bird Sanctuary treats within a single year.
- A nature center with indoor and outdoor exhibits, including mammals, reptiles, raptors and parrots.
- A 300-seat outdoor amphitheater with many free public environmental education programs throughout the year. Check the online calendar to see what's coming up.
- More than 9 miles of hiking trails, rated from easy to difficult. You can go for a short hike and visit our bird feeding stations and also look for songbirds from our brand-new songbird observation deck (at the end of the display line).
- Picnic tables and pavilions give you ample space and opportunity to have your picnic lunch with the birds.
- A free "Bird Brain" Reading Room and Activity Center situated among the outdoor exhibits. Open on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., you can pick up free books about birds, nature and conservation, or even a free poster when they're available.
- Keeper Talks take place every Saturday and Sunday at 9 a.m sharp on the main display line. Meet right in front of the Wildlife Hospital and learn about the birds and follow the keepers as they feed the birds and explain how they came to be at World Bird Sanctuary.
World Bird Sanctuary is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Sunday. They are closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and they close at noon on Christmas Eve. Admission and parking is free. Donations are gladly accepted, and donation boxes are situated throughout the site.
- Handicapped-accessible trails and paved exhibit trails
- Public restrooms
- Water fountains
- Soda, water and snack sales
- Gift shop
- No pets allowed
From the calendar
World Bird Sanctuary preserves, protects and inspires to safeguard bird species in the global community for future generations.
See what's happening at World Bird Sanctuary. Visit their Sponsor Sproutlight page.
"In the Sproutlight" is a sponsored opportunity. For more information on sponsorship, e-mail [email protected] or call 636-828-4246.