- Give your dog a bath as needed, but try not to do it more than once a month if possible. Bathing your dog too often can sometimes create a dull coat. Also, make sure you use a shampoo made specifically for dogs, and then completely rinse all of the soap out of her coat to prevent skin irritation that could lead to rashes.
- Brush your dog's coat on a regular basis to help prevent matting and shedding. While brushing, look for any unusual bumps, growths or scratches on your dog.
- Dogs should have regular nail trims to keep them comfortable when walking or running. Nail trimming can also cut down on accidental scratches to floors, furniture, other dogs and/or people. If you are uncomfortable trimming your dog's nails, then seek the help of a professional groomer or your veterinarian.
- Clean your dog's ears regularly to help prevent ear infections. Take note if you see redness or build up in your dog's ears or if you smell a foul odor as it could signal an infection. Dogs who swim will need their ears cleaned more often.
- Brush your dog's teeth often with a pet safe toothpaste and brush to keep his breath smelling fresh and to prevent plaque.
The Pro Plan Performance Team, consisting of more than 15 remarkably talented canines, entertains audiences at Purina Farms with extraordinary feats of athleticism and skill. The team, which is made up primarily of rescued dogs, is living proof that with premium, high-quality nutrition, proper expert training and lots of unconditional love, any pet has the ability to achieve greatness.
See what's happening at the Farms! Visit Purina Farms' Sproutlight Page.
In the Sproutlight is a sponsored opportunity. For more information on sponsorship, e-mail [email protected] or call 636-828-4246.