- Audubon Center at Riverlands
- Contemporary Art Museum
- First Fridays in Grand Center: Enjoy free admission to several art museums in the Grand District from 5-9 p.m. on the first Friday of each month.
- Foundry Art Centre: Watch artists in residence at work on the second floor of the Foundry Art Centre in Historic St. Charles.
- Forest Park
- Frisco Train Store
- Historic Daniel Boone Home (self-guided tours of the grounds are free, though an additional fee applies for tours of the home itself)
- James S. McDonnell Prologue Room (self-guided tours available June-August, Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Katy Trail State Park
- Laumeier Sculpture Park
- Lone Elk Park
- The Magic House: The Magic House offers free admission from 5:30-9 p.m. on the third Friday of each month.
- Missouri Botanical Garden: St. Louis city and county residents can visit on Wednesday and Saturday mornings from 9 a.m.-noon for free admission. Anyone may visit after 5 p.m. on Wednesdays during the Whittaker Music Festival for free admission to both the garden and the children's garden.
- Missouri History Museum: Be sure to check out the History Clubhouse, a special hangout just for families!
- The Muny: The last nine rows of seating at The Muny are free. Arrive early because seats are first come, first served.
- National Great Rivers Museum
- Play Date Theater: Catch a free performance geared to preschoolers at 2 p.m. on the third Saturday of each month at St. Louis Public Library.
- Powder Valley Conservation Nature Center
- Public Libraries: St. Louis Public Library, St. Louis County Library, Ferguson Municipal Public Library, Kirkwood Public Library, Edwardsville Public Library, St. Charles City-County Library, Alton Public Library
- Purina Farms
- Saint Louis Art Museum
- Saint Louis Science Center
- Saint Louis Zoo: General admission to the zoo is always free. Visit the first hour the zoo is open for free admission to the Children's Zoo, Conservation Carousel and Stingrays at Caribbean Cove (note that the cove is open seasonally).
- Shakespeare Festival in Forest Park
- St. Louis Live Steamers in Kircher Park
- Suson Park
- Third Fridays at Third Degree Glass Factory: On the third Friday of each month, the Third Degree Glass Factory offers glassblowing demonstrations, firespinning, live performances and other activities beginning at 6 p.m. Food is also available for purchase.
- Willoughby Farm
- World Bird Sanctuary
Warm weather means it's time to move the fun outdoors! Check out these fun, free ways to play this summer in St. Louis. Note that while admission is free to most of the spraygrounds and playgrounds listed below, paid admission is required to the Doris I. Schnuck Children's Garden at the Missouri Botanical Garden.
Outdoor summer concerts
Outdoor movies (note that while most of the events on this list are free, a few do require paid admission)
Looking for even more fun things to do with your family in St. Louis? Subscribe to Sprout's free Weekly Planner e-mail newsletter!